09 January 2009

First Day!

Ah, the first day of the semester...
It's actually one of my favorite days. New classes, new people, new teachers (good if you didn't like your teachers last semester, bad if you did (I guess it was bad for me, then, because I'm going to miss Mr. Stumpf.))
I've always liked the whole "new" part. I switched schools so many times in the past, I got to meet new people all over again every two years or so. It was nice.

Of course, knowing a few people in your new classes is nice, too.
Amy was in two of my classes today. Jason was in one. (a few random other people that I recognized were in them too, but no one that I actually knew)
First days are almost always the same. The teacher goes through the syllabus. There are introductions (sometimes). You may or may not get homework.
In Literature-Based Research, I learned my teacher, Larry Hamilton, is quite a character. I notice that he can be easily misunderstood. He is funny (some people think he "tries too hard") and intelligent. He also likes the Wizard of Oz character (says it's his favorite character of all time, and that if he could have, he would've loved to play the part of the Wizard).
He likes names (though he said nothing of mine (he quoted Shakespeare's "What's in a name?")) And he also gave us homework on the first day... Assignment: Read pages 1-54 in the textbook. (By the way, the Literature textbook is the thickest book in the picture. 2004 pages long) I sat in the back of the classroom with Amy. On the other side of me was a girl named Jordan.... I am NEVER sitting next to her again. She was smoking marijuana during class! She was using occasional profanity (something I don't particularly right (I'll post a blog someday explaining my reasons, probably)) and when she talked, she talked LOUDLY. She was very annoying. Like I said, NEVER sitting next to (or even NEAR) her again. EVER.
In Spanish II, I already knew my teacher. She's a nice lady (some people can't understand her, because of her Spanish accent, though). Her name is BegoƱa Buxens. Because about half of the people in the classroom were in her class last semester, she didn't really do formal introductions. She called the ones she knew by name and had us each take turns reading paragraphs of the syllabus. The only homework she assigned was to go over the present tense verbs from last semester.
Daly's classes (I wasn't in any of his today) apparently went fairly well. Nothing too terribly bad happened.
I won't know how Human Values and Meaning will be until Tuesday. I'm hoping it will be my easiest class, since I have a feeling Literature and Spanish are going to be a bit challenging...

No comments:

Post a Comment