09 March 2009

Back for keeps?

I think I *may*
Just maybe
Be back.
For real.
For serious.
I know you've missed me.
I'VE missed me.
And it is good to be [potentially] back.
Really.
It truly is.
I went from 5 rocks to 13.
Two things happened to cause that.
1. Yo tengo una nueva gerbil!
2. My shoulder bag came in the mail.

Okay, details on number one:
I went to a pet store today.
They had gerbils.
I asked how old they were.
"Oh, about a year old."
"A year old?"
"Yes."
"Do you have any young ones?"
"No... well, actually, let me check in the back. Hey [insert name that has escaped my memory here]! Have we got any wee baby gerbils? Little babies?"
*faraway voice*
"Okay, I'm going to go look."
So I watched as the lady went through a door to the back of the store. I peeked through a window and saw that there were many cages lined up against the wall on shelves, housing mice, gerbils, and hamsters.
*door opens again*
"Yeah, we've got some little babies."
"Oh really?? How old are they?"
"They JUST started eating solid food."
"Are they still too young to tell the gender?"
"Yes, like I said, they JUST started eating hard foods."
"Okay, good." I laughed. There was a slight awkward silence before I said, "So, can I see them?"
"Oh, sure."
She led me through the door to the room I had seen from the window.
In a glass aquarium sitting on a wooden table, there were about 15 small white gerbils, running around with their mother.
So small...
So cute...
"I'll take one." As soon as the words were out of my mouth, I thought, 'I could take two...' but then thought about how Mom might feel. For one, they are white gerbils. Albino. Red eyes. For another thing, she granted permission for ONE; she said nothing of two.
So I decided to just stick with my words and buy one.
Their mice were only $1.79....
*sigh*
Not even going to consider that (though I really do want a mouse...)
So I watched as the lady got a little box (they seem to be at every pet store..) and stuck it in the aquarium. While the majority of gerbils ran away from the strange object descending from heaven, there was one that just stood there for a few moments, looking up at it. When the box was gently set down in the aquarium, the wee baby gerbil sniffed the air then stepped toward the box.
Yes.
That is the one.
I want that one.
The lady scooped it up into the box and closed the top before handing it to me.
I listened to the little feet scratching against the cardboard.
We walked to the front of the store where I paid for the little gerbil.
$5.00-something.
MUCH less expensive than what they sell gerbils for at Town and Country (though I do love that place).
So that gave me 6 rocks, bringing my Happy Wagon up to 11 rocks.
Which is good... but still slightly not-good. I mean, I was averaging 15 rocks the past few months!

So then the second thing to happen..
My shoulder bag.
It is wonderful.
I ordered it on Friday.
It came on Monday, today.
Now unless it was shipped from somewhere terribly close, I don't think things are supposed to come that quickly...
I'm not sure where it was shipped from, so I'm just saying God sent it along faster, 'cause he knew I needed something else to cheer me.
When I got it, I added 2 rocks. Total of 13 in the "Wagon" (it is technically a basket...)

Now, I did take one out, because Daly found out that his Grandma has stage 4 pancreatic cancer.
Back to 12.
(I suggested the Wolfe Clinic treatment stuff to him.)

So yes.
That was my day.
It went fairly well.
Probably the best day I've had in two weeks.
It feels good.

No comments:

Post a Comment